First Visit: What To Expect
Lawrence, KS | Midwest Muscle & Joint Clinic
At Midwest Muscle & Joint Clinic we take pride in our examination and assessments with every patient. Typically, a first visit can be anywhere from 30-45 mins. This may seem like a long time, but for us to properly diagnosis and have a plan of action for treatment, we make this visit very thorough yet as efficient as possible.
- Neurological, Physical, and Orthopedic Examination: This first step is crucial because this determines whether or not you are in the right place. We are musculoskeletal experts, if we notice any red flags that are out of our expertise you can trust that we will refer you to the appropriate physician or order the proper imaging (X-ray, MRI, Bone Scan). If you have had previous imaging done or a note from a physician, please bring it in so we can review it.
- Functional Assessment: This is our favorite part of the exam! The clinicians are highly trained to find movement dysfunctions and improper movement patterns. We start off by using the Selective Functional Movement Assessment (SFMA), which is a systematic approach to finding the root cause of pain and dysfunction. The SFMA will help pinpoint a mobility problem or a stability/motor control problem. We then break this down and screen you on everyday tasks that we think may be applicable: how you walk, pick something up off the ground, squat, reach overhead, and core and breathing mechanics.
- Soft Tissue Palpation: We take a hands-on approach to identifying soft tissue structures that may be at fault or the cause of dysfunction (muscle, tendons, ligaments, nerves). We are looking for trigger points, hypertonicity, and/or inhibited muscles.
- Dynamic Joint Palpation: With the use of Motion Palpation Techniques (MPI) we take a functional approach to assessing joint biomechanics and finding joint restrictions (spine and extremities).
- Treatment, Corrective Exercises, Home Care: Our focus is establishing a partnership to help you achieve your goals. Every patient is unique and so are our treatments. Typical treatment includes a combination of joint manipulation, soft tissue mobilization, and/or corrective exercises. Patients are most likely given take-home recommendations. It is key that patients are compliant with their home care recommendations - this can speed up recovery time.
Please arrive 10-15 minutes prior to your appointment to finish up paperwork and for us to verify your insurance (if applicable).
What should you wear? We ask that all patients dress in comfortable clothing, most importantly something that you can move around and perform basic exercises.
What should you bring? Please bring with you a Photo ID, Valid Insurance Card (if applicable), Imaging or other Medical Reports, and a list of Active Medications.